My blog is designed to raise awareness of MND. Specifically targeting young people who are less likely to hear about the disease.
MND is also known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and Lou Gehrig’s Disease
MNDA is a charity that is very close to my heart since my best friends mum, and another best friends late dad, were both diagnosed. Since their diagnosis’ a friend and I have raised in excess of £2000 for the charity, including giving my friends mother the opportunity to go to Lourdes. But I strive to do all I can to get the charity the publicity it deserves. I am also in the process of training for a half marathon and a 50 mile cycle ride to raise more funds and more awareness of the charity.
Since I’ve raised awareness, I’ve been told about lots more cases of the disease and it has affected many more people than I first imagined.
So… a little bit about the disease.
Motor Neurone Disease is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks the upper and lower motor neurones. Degeneration of the motor neurones leads to weakness and wasting of muscles, causing increasing loss of mobility in the limbs, and difficulties with speech, swallowing and breathing.
And a little bit about the Association…
The Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA), has a mission to fund and promote research to bring about an end to MND. Until then they do, all that we can to enable everyone with MND to receive the best care, achieve the highest quality of life possible, and die with dignity. They also do all that they can to support the families and carers of people with MND
Ways to support:
- The best way to support is by raising awareness which can be done by sharing my blog https://laurayellmnd.wordpress.com/ and by sharing the MNDA website: http://www.mndassociation.org/ .
- Other ways to support include giving generously to the charity to fund their research;
- Either through my just giving page: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/laurayell or directly to the association.
- Another great way to support is to get involved by volunteering, it’s so easy and so effective, just visit the following links to find out more:
- Volunteering in the Leicester Branch:
- Volunteering in the Bristol Branch:
The way this disease effects both the sufferer and loved ones is unforgivable and must be addressed, so please support me and help MNDA continue researching for a cure, and offering help and support to affected families.